A Travellerspoint blog


semi-overcast 80 °F
View Waffle Flight on nawaf's travel map.

We got up at 6:30am to catch the bus and there they were. I guess Amanda managed to talk Lina into going to the lake. We set off knowing that it's going to be a long journey. We walked to the bus station and caught the first bus out to Rivas.


Right before we get to Rivas the bus conductor asked us if we were going to the lake and he started counting all the gringos, about 12 of us, headed to the lake. It seemed pretty fishy to me and I was right. We were being set up. So the bus pulls over in the middle of the road and tells us that we have to take taxis here headed to the dock. We get off and there was exactly enough taxis to take us all. The three taxi drivers had agreed on a price. They wanted $2.50 per person which seemed expensive for the ride but we had no other option since we were in the middle of the road! We take the taxi and that's when I tell Luke and the girls that I think we were set up. I explained to them what happened and Luke remembered the conductor talking on his cell phone right after he counted us. He called the taxis! Oh well at least we ended up paying an extra $1.50 and not got robbed!

Next was getting on a boat headed to the island. The water looked pretty rough and we had two options. Take a lancha (small boat) leaving as soon as we got there for $1.50 or wait an hour for the "ferry" and pay $3. We opted for the ferry since the water didn't look very friendly. I get the worst case of seasickness so I was very happy with the decision. As we waited all these guys were coming up to us asking us if we wanted a taxi once we got to the island. We told them we'll be taking the chicken bus. All of them were telling us there were no buses on Sundays. Somehow that didn't seem believable. An hour later the ferry arrives. Let's just say the ferry can fit one truck and not that many people. It wasn't much bigger than the lancha!


We headed to the ferry and asked the people that were getting off if there are buses running today and they said yes there are. We get on the boat and the first thing I noticed was Enrique Iglasies. They were playing his music videos, one after another! That got annoying pretty fast. I tried to sleep because that's how I deal with my seasickeness. I managed to pretty much sleep the entire time. Right before we get to the island I looked out and all I can see is a giant volcano in the middle of the water. What a beautiful sight.


We get to the island and get off and we were immediately surrounded by taxi drivers. We make our way through pretty much ignoring them and telling them we're taking the bus. They stuck by their story that there are no buses just as a bus pulls in right behind them! Unbelievable!

We find out that the next bus that we need to take to go to our hostel leaves in 2 hours. Luke and I didn't mind hanging out in Moyogalpa while we wait for the bus. Amanda and Lina were going to stay at a different hostel so they have to take a different bus. The bus was going to cost $2 and the ride is about 2.5 hours to the other side of the island. We find a shuttle bus and got a group of people and negotiated a price for the entire group we managed to pay $5 a person for a private shuttle and it took us 1.5 hours. Not a bad deal!

Posted by nawaf 19:09 Archived in Nicaragua Tagged transportation

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint